Friday, August 14, 2015

SEA HUNTER 8-14 FLUKE UPDATE

So far we have been keeping everyone busy with plenty of action.  We did have one afternoon when the wind blew pretty hard, and we were restricted in places to fish that we had slow fishing. Yesterday morning we had around 400 shorts, but could only get a handful of Fluke that went 18 inches. My daughter was out for her fifth time this year, and it was her first time without at least one keeper. She did have exactly 20 shorts as she counts all her Fluke. Most of the keepers this week were between 18 and 20 inches. I was wondering when we were going to get another shot of bigger fish and it was today, on the morning trip the action wasn't as good, but the keepers were bigger and we had more of them. It was our best trip this week with larger fish. The pool winner was almost 7 lbs, and we had a few others in the 4 and 5 lb range. The afternoon trip produced more action, but not as many keepers. The Gulp baits are still working very good  as are the spearing we provide. If you put a little effort into working the baits you will catch more fish especially when the drift is slow. The mates and I will be happy to show how to do it. I have a good regular customer lets call him Joe and his wife we will call her Margret as I don't want to embarrass anyone.  Margret always out fishes Joe and usually it's no competition. Yesterday afternoon after an hour Joe did not have a fish and his wife was catching as usual. I looked at Joe's rig that he was using as he was about to change it to something different. I looked at him and told him to take the rig he was using as well as the one he was about to use and throw them both overboard. I looked in his tackle box to find something that I thought would give him a chance and I told him to keep the sinkers, but get rid of everything else. I see all kinds of crazy rigs with spinners, beads, skirts, propellers, and spreader rigs I've seen them all. When you go into a tackle store those rigs catch you as they look fancy, but most of the time they don't catch many fish. Occasionally they will work, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Some guys like the Buck tails and if you know how to work them they are very effective, but there is a knack to it. Anyway back to my story I gave Joe one of my rigs, and its nothing fancy just a 2/0 hook and a 20lb test two foot leader its the same rig I use and the same one I give to my daughter and the ones I use on the rental rods. All I can say is Margret wasn't happy with me at the end of the trip as Joe finally caught more than her.When you come on the boat believe me I want you to catch fish I work very hard at putting the boat over where I think the fish will be. Working the edges of channels, working around holes and structures, working centers of channels whatever needs to be done. The crew and myself will give advice and show you what to do, but we can't catch them for you. Some people are stubborn and actually get mad if you try and tell them what may work better. We will never try and force you to catch more fish. Whatever makes you happy. We want you to come back and fish with us. Here are some pics for you . Hopefully we will see you soon. Thanks for checking in, Capt. Rob







































Blog Archive